[Gllug] Still interpreting output from "sensors"

Russell Howe rhowe at siksai.co.uk
Sun Apr 24 16:45:03 UTC 2005

On Sun, Apr 24, 2005 at 04:14:08PM +0100, John Winters wrote:

> Yes, I'm rather assuming they're mis-labelled - I'm trying to deduce
> what they are from how they behave.
>
> Can I expect the CPU temperature reading to increase that quickly?

It seems rather rapid, but I have no problems believing that it could.
It's probably quite a good measure of the effectiveness of your
cooling - the slower the temperature rise, the faster heat is being
conducted away from the CPU (assuming all other things remain
constant, which they never are :).

I guess it could also be affected by a change in the voltage of your
supply rails too - if the CPU suddenly comes out of powersave mode, it
will suck more power, and if your power supply circuitry doesn't react
fast enough, I suppose that could cause a mini brownout, affecting the
sensor output, but it seems a bit unlikely...

The acid test would be for you to open the PC case up, and detach the
CPU's fan. See if the 'M/B temp rises' (and be ready to reattach the fan
header if the heatsink starts getting hot!)

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk