[Gllug] Routing question

Tom Schutzer-Weissmann trmsw at yahoo.co.uk
Thu Apr 14 15:40:45 UTC 2005

On Wed, 2005-04-13 at 15:35 +0100, Bruce Richardson wrote:

> That is informative about the problem but out of date wrt the available
> fixes.  The arp_filter and arp_announce/ignore patches both provide a
> solution but check your kernel to see if they are available (if so, they
> should be documented in the ip-syscl.txt file in the kernel docs).
> arp_ignore is imho better.  Depending on the level you set it to on
> network hosts, you may also need to set arp_announce.

I've tried using arp_ignore, setting it to 3, but the poor local
computer that has the same ip address as the remote end of the tunnel's
ppp interface still gets shafted as soon as it tries to access a network
share.

Is this to do with Windows networking? Because arp_ignore definitely
controls whether or not I can ping the ppp interface's two ip addresses.

Maybe there's some way of blocking arp responses for those particular
addresses?

Thanks again,
Tom

http://uk.my.yahoo.com