[Gllug] Securing XP

John Southern john at sinoda.demon.co.uk
Mon Apr 4 09:01:29 UTC 2005

On Monday 04 April 2005 08:58, John Winters wrote:
> My question is this.  Are there any other directories which XP shares by
> default?  Is there a global setting which I can change saying, "Don't
> share anything"?

At a guess I would say this is XP professional as Home should not allow
everyone by default.
Start/All Programs/Accessories/Windows Explorer/Tools/Folder Options/View
Deselect "Use simple file sharing" option
This now adds the Security tab within the folder Properties interface and the
Sharing tab of the root file system of a drive shows the available setting
options. Sharing the root directory is probably a very bad idea.
I am pretty sure that the default security level is Everyone with no Admin
password.

Still, installing a virus is the least of your worries. What happens if some
twisted student with a grudge uploaded pr0n onto your machine and then
complained you were showing it around school.
Is there an audit trail available in XP to prove you do not do things?

John S
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk