[Gllug] Re: RAID on laptop or xfs?

Liam Smit liam.smit at gmail.com
Fri Apr 1 00:33:44 UTC 2005

Yup drives do tend to do perform lots of black magic behind the ATA
interface, not a lot you can do about that except make sure it won' t
cause problems.

Buy a UPS? That's what we'd do back home. <g>

I'm not sure how much hdd corruption you will suffer if you are using
a journalling file system when the drive loses power, all changes to
files being stored in the journal.

If some of that cache is for reads (i.e. not stuff waiting to be
written) than you can ignore that for data corruption purposes.
Combining these two factors means you should survive. Of course if you
can' t take that kind of a risk then you should be using high end
controllers with battery backed cache and have everything on a UPS.

Regards
Liam

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk