[Gllug] Madwifi drivers

John Hearns john.hearns at streamline-computing.com
Tue Apr 12 07:51:07 UTC 2005

On Tue, 2005-04-12 at 01:59 +0100, Mike Brodbelt wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Is anyone here experienced with the madwifi drivers? I've got an Atheros
> 5212 based mini PCI wireless card which I'm trying to drive with little
> success.
On the Dell laptops list, people have said that Atheros based cards work
with little problem. Not much help to you.

I just got a Dell brand card, which has a Broadcom chipset.
I got it working using ndiswrapper and the supplied Dell driver.
I'm using it at the moment.
Simply install ndiswrapper, ndiswrapper -i windows.driver

Actually, the main problem I had was that the card comes up in 'g' mode
and was associating with a neighbour's access point (ahem).
Even when I set the ssid it would do that.
I had to force the card to operate in legacy 'b' mode by editing
/etc/ndiswrapper/driver-name/...conf file
I know 'g' mode is supposed to step down to 'b' mode automatically - but
my card did not seem to want to.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk