[Gllug] web server performance

Minty mintywalker at gmail.com
Fri Apr 29 16:14:36 UTC 2005

On 4/28/05, Alain Williams <addw at phcomp.co.uk> wrote:
> Can anyone offer tips on monitoring web server performance ?

Not so good for monitoring, but enabling the server status can be
helpful for debugging.

http://www.apache.org/server-status

Note that this allows people to see which ip's are visiting your site,
and what pages they are getting.  An .htaccess rule can limit access
to known ip blocks.

An interesting column is

  Req : Milliseconds required to process most recent request

re: bytemark : I've had similiar problems. Monitor uptime:

*/15 * * * * MYDATE=`date +%s` ; MYUPTIME=`uptime` ; echo "$MYDATE
$MYUPTIME" >> /var/log/uptime.log

and graph the last three columns.  For the record, on my bytemark host
the 15 minute load average, logged every 15 minutes has not gone above
0.4 in over a month.  It does spike > 1 more than a few times each
day, and I believe not mainly because of what I'm doing.  Them's the
breaks of shared hardware and the price!

It got bad once, I spoke to them, and they moved me to a new box
within a few hours.
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk