[Gllug] re: OSS CMSs

Daniel P. Berrange dan at berrange.com
Thu Apr 28 17:00:46 UTC 2005

On Thu, Apr 28, 2005 at 01:49:30PM +0100, Aaron Trevena wrote:
> CPAN works well, particularly if you know how to use it and perl. The
> standard libraries install in a standard way, have standard packaging,
> documentation and tests. Modules are rated and have optional QA - You
> can check ratings, reviews, bugs and Quality easily through the cpan
> website. Dependancy handling is also automated when you install via
> CPAN.
>
> Much of the common and popular code on CPAN is written by experienced
> perl developers with good API's both functional and object-oriented.
> There are frequently choices of packages for a particular task
> depending on your needs and you can view the API and any feedback
> before you download.

I think CPAN is probably one of the killer reasons to use Perl in many
circumstances. I've recently gotten around to writing a database backed,
email archive will full text search indexing, and a comprehensive web
GUI. The entire application is a mere 2000 lines of Perl & probably
taken < 5 days cumulative development time. The sheer quantity of code
I was able to leverage from CPAN is awesome. To name but  a few, Mail::Box
provided for loading of arbitrary mail box formats, and MIME message
decoding, Template provided awesome HTML templating capabilites, and
of course little things like DBI / DBD-PG,  Log::Log4perl, Digest::SHA1
filled many niches. Now, if I'd had to write all this stuff myself the
resulting code definitely could have been a horrible unreadable mess,
but I leveraged soo much code, that the little I did have to write was
able to be pretty clear & concise.

'enterprise' java, no thanks - I'd still be working on it a year after
I'd started & it would be a pale immitation of what I knocked up in
Perl ;-P

Regards,
Dan,