[Gllug] Debian Matching Machines

Chris Bell chrisbell at overview.demon.co.uk
Wed Apr 6 19:03:36 UTC 2005

On Wed 06 Apr, Peter Childs wrote:

>     Why so, I have been told be many that the best way to install debian
> is to skip the dselect stage and use apt manually.

   That may be so for an expert, but new users to Woody would usually prefer
to allow tasksel to load a sensible set of packages for general use, and
dselect to adjust the selection for personal preferences.
   Dselect was the standard GUI up to Debian 3.0 Woody, with the option of
using apt as a back-end, but aptitude appears to be preferred for 3.1 Sarge.
   Both dselect and aptitude can search for and install security upgrades
and replacement packages, however dselect would always install the latest
available version of any package, while aptitude can also download any
relevant bug reports and check to confirm that they would not alter your
requirements before the packages are installed.

--
Chris Bell

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk