[Gllug] Scriptable Flowchart / Diagram Applications

Richard Cottrill richard_c at tpg.com.au
Fri Apr 22 13:19:18 UTC 2005

Mike Leigh said:
> Can I ask what tools you used.  I have had a quick look at Dia and it
> seems
> that the Python scripting is still being developed. What I would like is a
> little nudge in the 'right' direction to start researching.

http://www.graphviz.org/ is the place to start for dot related materials.
I should point out here that dot is a file format rather than an
application. I don't recall finding a really good program for drawing dot
graphs, but lots of tools for laying them out/viewing.

> a tool to interpret it. Below is a samle output that I would want to
> convert
> to a file suitable for generating a diagram from
> +---+-----------+----------+-------------------+
> |id | action_id | type     | description       |
> +---+-----------+----------+-------------------+
> | 1 | 2         | start    | workflow start    |
> | 2 | 3,4       | decision | do you use linux? |
> | 3 | 5         | text     | yes               |
> | 4 | 6         | text     | no                |
> | 5 | 7         | text     | excellent         |
> | 6 | 7         | text     | you really should |
> | 7 |           | end      | end               |
> +---+-----------+----------+-------------------+

I think (no time to check) that a simple dot description of this might
look like:

digraph Workflow {
	one -> two;
	two -> three;
	two -> four;
	three -> five;
	four -> six;
	five -> seven;
	six -- seven;
}

You can add all sorts of other info too (descriptions, etc). I just have a
plane to catch right now :)

Richard

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk