[Gllug] SFTP and chroot

Simon Morris mozrat at gmail.com
Sun Apr 10 21:30:24 UTC 2005

Hello,

I have a server that is hosted remotely and I would like to provide
sftp access for some other users.

Google tells me I can restrict these people to sftp only (i.e. no
login environment or bash shell) by adding /usr/lib/sftp-server to
/etc/shells and setting that as the users default shell.

I haven't tested this bit yet - is it the most effective way to
restrict a user to sftp access only?

Also google tells me there is no way to chroot users to their home
directory over SSH without patching and rebuilding sshd.... is that
also true?

My objective is to allow certain users sftp access *only* and have
them chrooted to ~ using the path of least resistance :)

Distro is Debian Sarge.

TIA

~sm
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk