[Gllug] RAID on laptop or xfs?

Bruce Richardson itsbruce at uklinux.net
Mon Apr 4 08:21:42 UTC 2005

On Thu, Mar 31, 2005 at 11:01:46AM +0100, Alan wrote:
> Ian Norton wrote:
>
> >unfortunatly it has been loosing files (thus far nothing debian
> >hasnt fixed).
> >

> If files are going missing, rather than being corrupted, a second
> partition that you rsync to makes sense to me.  Just make sure that you
> set the flags on rsync correctly so that it leaves the "extra" files in
> the backup partition alone.

The problem with this is that file corruption on the original will be
replicated, overwriting the good copy on the backup.  dirvish would be
worth investigating in this case; it uses rsync and hard links to
maintain multiple apparent  backups of a filesystem while only using
extra space when files change.

http://www.dirvish.org/

--
Bruce

Those who cast the votes decide nothing.  Those who count the
votes decide everything. -- Joseph Stalin