[Gllug] is this a big problem?

Tethys sta296 at astradyne.co.uk
Fri Aug 26 16:41:52 UTC 2005

"Martin A. Brooks" writes:

>Redhat offer support on an incredibly limited basis.  Given that most
>people will want to do more with their servers than Redhat allow for,
>you quickly get in to a situation where you have parts of your system
>supported, parts of it not, and if you started installing 3rd party RPMs
>(as most people end up doing) you may find yourself in a situation where
>you either stick with software with security problems

FUD. Red Hat are generally among the most responsive vendors when it
comes to security updates. Sure, they have problems, like anyone else,
and they don't always get it right. But just to play devil's advocate
for a while, Debian's recent failure to address security problems in
a timely manner is far more of an issue.

I'd also take issue with the fact that most people want to do more than
RH allow for, and that most install 3rd party RPMs. Yes, it happens.
But in my experience, virtually all of the RH boxen I've worked on in
a corporate environment have been unmodified, out of the box installs.
Again, there are exceptions, but for the most part, RH provide everything
that many businesses want.

FWIW, I'd advise avoiding 3rd party RPMs on any system, not just one
with a support contract. Unless you *enjoy* taking the express lift
to hell, that is...

Tet
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk