[Gllug] OT: Merging UPS outputs

Chris Bell chrisbell at overview.demon.co.uk
Sun Aug 21 12:04:44 UTC 2005

On Sun 21 Aug, Peter Childs wrote:

>     But think of the cost of converting and having two different supplies.
>     240 is standard throughout most of Western Europe and change would
> cause more problems, All I can't understand is why we have different
> plugs in the UK and we can't have the same plugs and equipment
> throughout the EU the quantity of equipment that you get with Euro Plugs
> on is a pain.....

   I tried to count the different power supply plugs used when I worked in
TV Centre, and gave up at over 50, with single or three phase AC, or DC
supplies, at different voltages, some for low or high power, some
maintained, some clean sine wave, some general purpose, some variable.

   I understand there is a proposal to change to another new series of
connectors, but there may not be enough electricians with the correct and
legal piece of paper which says they are allowed to do the conversion, even
if they are unable to read the piece of paper.

--
Chris Bell

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk