[Gllug] Unattended backup solution

Mike Brodbelt mike at coruscant.demon.co.uk
Fri Aug 12 23:42:17 UTC 2005

Paul Kathro wrote:
> Hi again,
>
> I am looking to set up an unattended backup solution for the company I'm
> working for.  The drive to be backed up is a single 80GB internal
> drive.  I'm looking at tape drives as they seem to be the way to go
> here.  Can anyone recommend a particular brand to go with or stay away
> from?  Also, any other backup media I should be considering here?

I have had good experience with LTO technology, and would wholeheartedly
recommend the HP Ultrium drives. Fast, reliable, high capacity, linear
tape technology. DDS is to be avoided IMO - helical scan drives are
inherently less reliable, and I've had grief with a couple. They're also
pretty slow compared to LTO. Whatever tape technology you choose, try to
arrange your system so the drive gets fed data fast enough to "stream"
without having to stop and rewind. Stop-start operation forced by low
data rates puts a lot of wear on the drive, which you want to avoid.

Mike.
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk