[Gllug] "Open source has its own problems" - article in Computing

John Winters john at sinodun.org.uk
Thu Aug 4 18:22:25 UTC 2005

On Thu, 2005-08-04 at 15:50 +0100, Rob Crowther wrote:
[snip]

> Intellectual Property - he states that all work done when in full time
> employment, whether at work or at home on personal time, is property of
> the employer, the natural conclusion of this is that most OSS is
> actually stolen from people's employers.

If this is a fair representation of what he said then his claim is
simply false.  There is no way that work done in your own time
(regardless of what kind of work it is) is automatically the property of
your employer.

Having said that, some employers try to get programmers to enter into a
contract whereby any code which they write, regardless of when they
write it, is the property of the employer.  I've always refused to sign
such a contract.

John

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk