[Gllug] OT: Merging UPS outputs

Chris Bell chrisbell at overview.demon.co.uk
Thu Aug 18 22:18:36 UTC 2005

On Thu 18 Aug, Dylan wrote:

> On Thursday 18 Aug 2005 00:15, Richard Jones wrote:
> > Why do we run 240 VAC through our houses anyway?  Surely all of these
> > transformers and regulators must waste huge amounts of energy.
>
> Well, the voltage in the Grid is much higher because it has to travel
> long distances will minmal loss. It gets progressively stepped down as
> it nears the local distribution loop. 240V (actually, it never was 240V

   It actually depended on the company that supplied you, where you lived,
and a load of other factors, and could have been almost any voltage. My home
was running on 250volts, so I used to buy special high voltage lamps, The
kids set fire to the local substation, and then it was dropped to about 235
volts.
   I have a reference book that lists some of the voltages, stating that in
1948 there were still DC supplies, (mainly 230 volt), and 1 phase (100 to
460 volts), 2 phase, and 3 phase (350 - 460 volt) AC supplies in use.
   Part of the South Acton and Chiswick area was still powered by DC in
1956, I rewired my grandfather's factory to 3-phase AC when it was finally
removed. (I was 13 at the time).

--
Chris Bell

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk