[Gllug] "Open source has its own problems" - article in Computing

David Damerell damerell at chiark.greenend.org.uk
Mon Aug 15 15:23:20 UTC 2005

On Thursday, 11 Aug 2005, Nix wrote:
>>Reduce consumption. Rings of hunger and regeneration use a lot; other
>I guess you use regen by wearing them only when you must (i.e.,
>for brief bursts) and then taking them off...

I never use regen; early on the food penalty is huge, and late on
natural regeneration outclasses it.

>I'll admit I've never seen the point of rings of hunger except to annoy
>people who haven't identified them yet. :)

Eating a lot of giant corpses without choking.

>>                                 There are two ways a corpse can be
>>bad; one is species-associated - some are poisonous, some induce
>or lethal (e.g. basilisks: won't they turn your mouth to stone?)

Yep.

>>hallucinations - and one is age, which almost any species can suffer
>>from. Unless it's a lizard or lichen, do not eat any corpse that is
>I've never seen lichen corpses. (And why are lizards special?!)

If you have not seen lichen perhaps you are playing an earlier
version. Lizard corpses cure stoning from cockatrice attacks;
originally they were a food item like a food ration, and only later
were lizard monsters added. They don't rot as a game mechanical
convenience; you need to keep one or two around to cure stoning.

>I've prayed occasionally in these situations, but I tend to forget #pray
>exists, and also tend to be too scared of godly anger. If it's reasonably
>safe to pray when weak, I'll do that.

But only by not having prayer available for other things, so praying
for food is a last resort.

--
David Damerell <damerell at chiark.greenend.org.uk> Kill the tomato!
Today is Gorgonzoladay, July - a weekend.
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk