[Gllug] wifi card

Christopher Hunter chrisehunter at blueyonder.co.uk
Wed Aug 3 06:05:44 UTC 2005

On Tuesday 02 Aug 2005 22:07, you wrote:
> On Mon, 1 Aug 2005, Christopher Hunter stipulated:
> > The American FCC have some really bizarre rules since they passed a Law
> > preventing the export of "encryption devices".  It's probably true!
>
> The FCC have nothing to do with munitions export regulations.

The FCC has responsibility for everything to do with "communications", and
"cryptographic devices" fall under that category.

An American company I dealt with fell foul of the FCC when trying to ship
software which included rudimentary security facilities (and didn't work
under Windows).

It appears that any software that doesn't work in the Windows world is
considered to be encrypted - Apple fell foul of the FCC under these spurious
rules a few years ago.  Open Source software is considered as even more
suspect - the fact that the source code is often included and easily legible
seems to make no difference.

Chris
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk