[Gllug] Linux - big not small

Nix nix at esperi.org.uk
Fri Aug 5 21:13:43 UTC 2005

On Thu, 04 Aug 2005, Rich Walker gibbered uncontrollably:
> Adrian McMenamin <adrian at mcmen.demon.co.uk> writes:
>
>> On Thu, 2005-08-04 at 19:47 +0100, John Hearns wrote:
>
>>> Well, in that case you could swap to a RAM disk.
>>
>> :)
>>
>> In my experience swapping to nfs is a surefire way to bring down your
>> system
>
> Use NBD, it's what it is for.

That's currently lethally deadlock-prone too... although iSCSI is
likely to force use of an emergency pool for allocations in case
of low memory; the idea is to immediately discard non-swap-related
network packets, so you don't need to allocate memory for them.

--
`Tor employs several thousand editors who they keep in dank
 subterranean editing facilities not unlike Moria' -- James Nicoll
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk