[Gllug] When a CD is not a CD

Anthony Newman anthony.newman at uk.clara.net
Mon Aug 1 08:43:05 UTC 2005

> Why can I not hear this on the old CD player?

It doesn't understand. AFAIK the anti-piracy measures function by
producing non-Red(?) Book standard CDs,
which should be illegible to computer drives which are more pedantic.
The error detection/correction which
takes place in either old "analogue" CD players or modern PC drives is
both identical and digital, and extremely
resilient except when implemented poorly. I have had cheap CD-ROM drives
before which were unable to read
slightly scratched discs without producing horribly distorted audio.

On the other hand, if you have a super spangly expensive drive I've no
idea :)

Anthony

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk