[Gllug] new member....

Chris Bell chrisbell at overview.demon.co.uk
Wed Aug 3 19:27:04 UTC 2005

On Wed 03 Aug, Stephen Harker wrote:

> I have an old IBM thinkpad 486 66MHz 24MB RAM and a 500 MB HD and it
> happily runs Debian Sarge with the 2.4 kernel. Links etc work fine.
> Detects PCMCIA ethernet cards no probs.
>
> I seem to recall it was a bit of a faff to install but I got there in
> the end. You need to install from boot floppies (ie woody or potato) and
> then dist-upgrade. Can take a LONG time but it gets there in the end.
>
> Stephen

   I would try first with the new installer. The installation instructions
are available on line and on the CD images, but also read the "errata" which
should have details of what to do in case of problems. Boot from the
"businesscard" installer CD ISO if you are able, this will give a choice of
kernel. Floppies are an option for the first start, but the floppy boot and
100MByte network installer ISO only offer the standard 2.4 i386 kernel. You
can also install using the first CD of the full Debian set of CD's.

--
Chris Bell

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk