[Gllug] is this a big problem?

paul paul at thinksolution.net
Fri Aug 26 14:47:23 UTC 2005

We use Linux, We use Windows but ultimately the choice comes down to
business requirements. We have a requirement to develop applications
on and for Windows. Because of this and the complexity of our
internal applications we're not in a position to use Linux across the
board - however we use it where it benefits us, but not for cost. On
that it remains relatively cost neutral.

     That's an important point - it is getting more expensive to deploy Linux and
    In some ways it's defeating one of the major selling points that Linux used to have.
    Still we can't expect something for nothing, so I think you're right - It's a case of
    Finding out what the advantages are of deploying a technology in certain areas.
    Cost is the major advantage to consumers - coupled with ease of use and
    hassle free integration into the working environment. I'm thinking of the case
    where, for example, a small company with little to no IT support needs someone
    to come in and sort out the infrastructure. The main concern I find is firstly -
    Can you fix our problem - then after the solution comes "can you make it run
    smoothly for us" and then they think about costs. Whereas with a startup company
    the cost is prime concern. Cost of setting up and licence fees followed by cost of
    support. The best a support team can do is to work on the ways to comply with
    the requirements of a company with regard to cost both in time and money
    because time is money.