[Gllug] FTP downloaded SUSE 9.3 to hdd - won't install over nfs..

M.Blackmore mblackmore at oxlug.org
Tue Aug 9 14:47:41 UTC 2005

M.Blackmore wrote:
>Over the weekend I downloaded suse 9.3 of the ftp.gwdg.de mirror ...
>
>Unfortunately this won't install over nfs for an upgrade. I don't get
>the yast option "what sort of upgrade" or "repair", and when it grinds
>as far as the analysing systems page the software packages have no
>option available.
Solved - looked at a few mirrors and noticed a couple had a few more
files in the "root" directory of suse 9.3, so to speak. Downloaded those
and a couple of files which were of a different size and bingo, just
installed suse 9.3 off the network via nfs.

Seems one cannot trust all the suse mirrors...

nfs over the net is impossibly slow. Just out of curiosity I tried it to
a fast mirror, and after waiting for over 10 minutes simply to load the
ramdisk hit the reset button on da box. Life is too short!
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk