[Gllug] OT: Merging UPS outputs

Chris Bell chrisbell at overview.demon.co.uk
Sun Aug 21 11:44:54 UTC 2005

On Sun 21 Aug, Chris Hunter wrote:

> They seem to manage well enough in the Americas - the power outlets are
> different sizes, so you can't plug a 110V appliance into 230V.  The vast
> majority of domestic electronic appliances are built for 110V globally -
> there would actually be a small cost saving if the lower voltage
> specification was used throughout the world.
>
> Chris

   So what do you get down the cable, (assumed AC volts)

-55, 0, +55, 230

-110, 0, +100

0, 110, 230

0, 230 and provide your own transformer for 110volts

or something else and do your own conversion? Don't forget to include the
cost of providing and upgrading transformers in the cost calculation.

   Our 230volts is of course one phase from a three phase supply, together
with the centre tap from the three phase transformer, and individual single
phase premises are connected to different phases in an attempt to balance
the load.

--
Chris Bell

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk