[Gllug] OT: Merging UPS outputs

David Abbishaw David at Abbishaw.com
Tue Aug 16 18:36:23 UTC 2005

Hi,

Tried googling for this information and have had no luck and thought that
someone on list might have some experience.

I currently run a number of servers and network kit off two ups, however
load balancing this is becoming a little tricky and I was wondering if it
was possible to merge the output of both ups to feed all of the machines,
the physical wiring of which wouldn't be difficult.  I would install a new
distribution board and take the two ups feeds into the main switch in.  And
the breakers out to the various circuits.  This is purely a hobbyist setup
at home so Id really like to avoid buying a larger ups, and Im aware that
this isn't ideal. :-(

My main issue is that I know that APC ups's wont always fire up if they
detect that another ups is upstream of them (kind of daisy chained) thus my
dilemma.

Help please.

Thanks

David