[Gllug] wifi card

Nix nix at esperi.org.uk
Wed Aug 3 21:02:28 UTC 2005

On Wed, 3 Aug 2005, Christopher Hunter gibbered uncontrollably:
> On Tuesday 02 Aug 2005 22:07, you wrote:
>> On Mon, 1 Aug 2005, Christopher Hunter stipulated:
>> > The American FCC have some really bizarre rules since they passed a Law
>> > preventing the export of "encryption devices".  It's probably true!
>>
>> The FCC have nothing to do with munitions export regulations.
>
> The FCC has responsibility for everything to do with "communications", and
> "cryptographic devices" fall under that category.

I boggle. The ITAR regulations, last I read them (long ago) didn't
mention the FCC --- but this might well be my crappy memory acting up.

> It appears that any software that doesn't work in the Windows world is
> considered to be encrypted - Apple fell foul of the FCC under these spurious
> rules a few years ago.  Open Source software is considered as even more
> suspect - the fact that the source code is often included and easily legible
> seems to make no difference.

They can't run it on their Windows boxes to check it, ergo it's encrypted.

(I have a strange desire to import a pile of random noise and give it
an .EXE extension... :) )

--
`Tor employs several thousand editors who they keep in dank
 subterranean editing facilities not unlike Moria' -- James Nicoll
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk