[Gllug] Sun Sparcstation - is it any use...?

Dylan dylan at dylan.me.uk
Wed Aug 10 23:11:22 UTC 2005

Hi All,

I have a SPARCstation 5 lying around here and am wondering what to do
with it...

It has not floppy drive installed. On-board it has (from left to right
looking at the back) a socket with the broken-diamond SCSI symbol, but
it's smaller than any SCSI connector I've come across; two d-type like
sockets (one above the other) with "// / <...>" below them; an RJ45
with TP <...> below (which I figure is ethernet); two serial ports;
mini-din keyboard (will a PC keyboard work in there?); and audio jacks.

There are three add-in boards: an ISDN, and two which each have an RJ45
(same markings as above) and a SCSI connector.

My questions are:

What are the connectors for? Is any of them a monitor?

What might the RJ45/SCSI boards be?

How can I go about getting some variety of Linux on the box since I
don't know how it is currently configured?

What use could it be put to?

Any and all comments and suggestions welcome.

Cheers

Dylan
--
"The man who strikes first admits that his ideas have given out."
                                                (Chinese Proverb)
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk