[Gllug] Skype unable to connect - not the usual network problems ...

Peter Grandi pg_gllug at gllug.for.sabi.co.UK
Mon Aug 8 23:05:29 UTC 2005

>>> On Mon, 8 Aug 2005 21:30:28 +0100, Colin Murphy
>>> <mailing-lists at spudulike.me.uk> said:

mailing-lists> I have been using Skype for a few weeks now

Bad news -- Skype is completely proprietary platform that aims
to do for VoIP what Microsoft has done for operating systems.

mailing-lists> This Suse 9.2 machine is shared by two people,
mailing-lists> and so, has two user accounts on it. Both of us
mailing-lists> use Skype, but Skype has stopped working on my
mailing-lists> user login but it does work on the other
mailing-lists> log-in. [ ... some experiments ... ]

Insufficient data for guessing what's wrong. Howeever I had a
look at an 'strace' and most waits are indeed for locks/files in
'~/.Skype' and you deleted that so it is difficult to imagine
that being an issue.

The other likely possibility is that when it starts up Skype
does an HTTP GET from "http://ui.skype.com/" and if there are
some erroneous proxy settings that can cause a hang. Look at the
value of the '$http_proxy' environment variable.

  I did an 'strace' of a the startup of Skype, and had a look
  and its config/status files and neither inspire confidence...

mailing-lists> Where else should I be looking to get more
mailing-lists> information to help diagnose the problem? What
mailing-lists> log files might help?

Do this:

  strace \
    -e '!select,ioctl,fstat64,gettimeofday,times,time,nanosleep' \
    -e signal=none -f -F -o /tmp/skype.txt skype

kill the 'skype' process about 10 seconds after it starts
hanging, and put the last 1,500 lines of the contents of
'/tmp/skype.txt' somewhere web accessible, for example
http://WWW.pasteBin.com/ or your own site.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk