[Gllug] OT: Merging UPS outputs

t.clarke tim at seacon.co.uk
Sun Aug 21 11:51:09 UTC 2005

Thought whilst I was idling my time away I'd throw in my tuppence worth ...

1)  Most of the places I have travelled in the world seem to use 220-240V
    America being the exception, with, usually both 110 and 220 for
    small applinaces and washers/dryers etc respectively.  The US system
    presumably entails extra transformers and more magnetisation losses !

2)  Most domestic plugs in use worldwide are crap  - and often unearthed.

3)  The standard 13amp UK plug is very much safer in many respects;  the sockets
    have a shield which is pushed aside by the longer earth pin, making it
    difficult for kiddies to stick things in  (I have seen a family in Denmark
    insert plastic 'plugs' into the downstairs skirting board sockets to prevent
    their small children from poking things into them !).

4)   UK plugs may be 'over-engineered',  but friends in Australia do not much
     care for the idea of running heavy-dury appliances on the crummy little
     plugs in common use there! Better, surely, to have a large safe plug for
     everything than small ones which can barely cope with a high load.

5)  Yes, plus are usually sold with 13A fuses in them  - I seem to recall at one
    time Woolies were selling plugs sans fuse and you could pick the rating you
    required when you paid, but seems everyone just picked 13A so they gave up
    the idea!

6)  Running anything in the garden with a long extension lead on 110V is going
    to be more of a problem than 230V; more significant voltage drop.

7)  I am told (cannot confirm) that houses in Aus (maybe elsewhere) are often
    radially wired to each socket rather than ring-mained.

Tim
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk