[Gllug] connection to wireless network

Liam Smit liam.smit at gmail.com
Wed Aug 17 14:32:49 UTC 2005

> > > Yes it is entirely possible to use an 'extension lead' to put your
> > > antenna in a position where it can receive a good signal while leaving
> > > your PC where it is. Unfortunately the longer the cable the higher the
> > > signal loss in Db. Your extension lead must be of high grade / low
> > > loss co-ax cable for this to work best. We're not talking co-ax used
> > > for television aerials or Ethernet co-ax either. You need some
> > > expensive telecoms type co-ax which loses very few signal Db per
> > > meter.
>
> For this type of situation I've used wireless ethernet adaptors like
> the Asus WL-330g:
>
> http://uk.asus.com/products4.aspx?l1=12&l2=41&l3=0&model=59&modelmenu=1
>
> you don't get any signal loss in the cable since it's just standard
> ethernet passed through to your machine. It's a handy solution.

Correct. The signal loss I was referring to was between the antenna
and the card.

One way around expensive co-ax and inevitable signal loss is to have
not cable between the antenna and the card's antenna connection(s).
Basically you don't lose signal strength by having the antenna and the
card close to each other, then you use Ethernet / USB / etc  to get
the data to the computer.

 E.g. purchase a USB wireless module and connect to it via USB
extension cable then use a parabolic dish to concentrate the signal
onto the USB adapter.

Other methods include the one you have listed above from Asus and
using tricks like PoE.

cheers
Liam
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk