[Gllug] OT: Merging UPS outputs

Liam Smit liam.smit at gmail.com
Sun Aug 21 14:15:22 UTC 2005

> > I didn't suggest anything of the sort. In SA we have 3 pin plugs and
> > circuit breakers. So all the small appliances (e.g. cell phone
> > charges) with two pin plugs get plugged into adaptors and larger
> > appliances (e.g. TVs) have their plugs cut off and 3 pin plugs fitted.

> Aaargh! So you buy something & immediately modify it!

Yup being doing it for years and emigration let me straight into the
UK, bet you feel safe now!<g>

> Many people are incapable of wiring plugs.
> This sounds like a recipe for disaster - I sometimes worry about the number
> of plugs (even from shops) that I have found to be incorrectly wired:

Well it's part of the Science syllabus in standard / grade 5 taught to
11 year olds in SA.

It's really not that hard, the plugs have E, L & N marked on them if you forget.

> * Earth & return wires mixed up
E = yellow and green stripes
N = blue
L = red or brown

If you mix those up then you have got bigger problems than a
potentially dangerous appliance.<g>

> * Cord grip tightened on the electrical inner wires, not the outer sleeving

Seen this a lot.

> * Wrong fuse

Not a problem.

> Sooner or later someone gets hurt with lots of things like this around.

Well they passed a law to prohibit appliances being sold without
plugs. The reason for this is that certain people thought using match
sticks to hold the wires in the sockets was a clever way to save money
/ time fitting a plug.

SA would seem to have somewhat different problems to the UK.<g>

cheers
Liam
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk