[Gllug] OT: Merging UPS outputs

Russell Howe rhowe at siksai.co.uk
Mon Aug 22 10:52:21 UTC 2005

On Mon, Aug 22, 2005 at 09:58:01AM +0100, Chris Bell wrote:
>    That sounds as though they actually generate and distribute a 3-phase
> supply, then use a 3 to 6 phase transformer to give a local 6-phase supply
> as you cannot earth more than one point at a time.
>    Standard practise here is to generate and distribute 3-phase, with the
> centre tap tied to earth (via earth spikes, etc) at every transformer and
> every main switch.

Hm.. this would be a single earth point per circuit, right? (with a
transformer joining circuits together, so there was no direct current
path between them). Otherwise, it would sound like a bad idea.. I was of
the impression that multiple earthing points on a circuit was something
you strived to avoid, due to ground loops etc.

Then again, I'm certainly no electrician and won't even pretend I know
what I'm talking about, so please point any misguided musings.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk