[Gllug] Unattended backup solution

Kristian Rink kristian at zimmer428.net
Fri Aug 12 11:36:44 UTC 2005

Hi Paul;

Paul Kathro schrieb:

> working for.  The drive to be backed up is a single 80GB internal
> drive.  I'm looking at tape drives as they seem to be the way to go
> here.  Can anyone recommend a particular brand to go with or stay away
> from?  Also, any other backup media I should be considering here?

If those 80 gigs is the only data storage you're about to back up in
that network, virtually every tape you might come up with nowadays will
suffice (LTO-1 starts at around 100 gigs uncompressed data per tape,
SDLT is around 110 gigs). You should, anyhow, also consider the
following questions:

- How much is that system intended to grow in near future? Backup hard-
and possibly even software is something you may pretty well spend quite
an amount of money on, so you should be sure your backup system is able
also to handle the data volume that will be on your system / in your
network, say, by the end of 2006 or even 2007 (around here, hardware has
to be usable at lest for two years until it might be replaced).

- Is backup / recovery speed an issue for you? 80 gigs aren't _that_
much, but maybe it's still of interest. Two years ago we decided to go
with an LTO-2 library instead of SDLT simply because it is way faster
(though way more expensive).

Cheers,
Kris

--