[Gllug] OT: Merging UPS outputs

Chris Hunter chrisehunter at blueyonder.co.uk
Sun Aug 21 10:39:10 UTC 2005

David Damerell wrote:

>On Thursday, 18 Aug 2005, Richard Jones wrote:
>

>>Why do we run 240 VAC through our houses anyway?  Surely all of these
>>transformers and regulators must waste huge amounts of energy.
>>

>Er, what would you suggest instead?

55 Volts either side of earth is quite reasonable (like site power
tools, and much of the Americas).  It's generally much safer, though
heavier current devices usually require higher supply voltages - it's
not uncommon for most domestic supplies to be 110V (55V either side of
earth) with an additional 230V supply for washing machines, air
conditioners and the like.

Chris

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk