[Gllug] new member....

Ms. Lene Jensen ljensen at redhat.com
Fri Aug 5 23:33:19 UTC 2005

On Fri, 2005-08-05 at 19:06, alberto wrote:
> Well in fvwm you need to be carefull of how you configure it.
>
> If you put all the visual stuff that fvwm has you may strugle with the 486.
>
> If you leave it to a minimum you should be ok.

I beg to differ (assuming you mean fvwm2 as opposed to fvwm).  My all
time favourite wm is without a doubt fvwm2.  I remember upgrading from
fvwm, thinking "bummer," but since we were upgrading, I had to too.  I
spent three days to set it up.  But once I had the look I wanted, ahhh,
sit back an relax!

This was then run on a 486 or P90 as a server, and a Tandberg terminal
with 16MB of memory as the login box.  I used to run three/four xterms,
irc, mail client, netscape and emacs on that, and it worked just fine!

In the autumn in Norway, all the universities in the 4 major cities
(Norway had only 4 universities until recently.  There are 6 now, I
think) used to take their research stuff and have a display in town
(they still do, btw).  In -96, we sat up an "internet cafe" with ONE P90
and 10 graphical terminals and we were running fvwm95 on them.  It was
so funny, one teenager came up, saw the screen (it looked just like
windows95) and told his friends "Ahh, this is Windows 95, I know this!"
So he logged in, and started poking around on the machine and was mighty
impressed with all the games he could find!  He did ask us about that,
and when he heard it was Linux...  Well, we converted a few teenagers
that day!

I still prefer fvwm2 on my laptop, to my sysadmins shagrin.  It makes my
laptop run soooo much faster on low memory.

LJ
--
1608 Spring Hill Road, Suite 350
Vienna, VA 22182, USA