[Gllug] Bytes to Megabytes

Liam Smit liam.smit at gmail.com
Sat Aug 27 12:16:26 UTC 2005

> > Although I see BT is carrying on as if 10^3 is a megabit...
>
> 10^6 bits should indeed be a megabit...

Ja. It was marketing material though and it was referring to a one
megabit line as 1000. I'm not 100% sure what they meant, perhaps they
meant 1000 Kb.

It's the whole conflict between the metric system and computers binary
counting. So RAM / ROM is measured in 2^* megabit (2^*) * 8 = megabyte
/ mebibyte. Then you dump that to your hard drive and it will either
take up *MB or slightly more than *MB depending on what definition you
are using, then you try transmitting it over your *Mb line and
confusion reigns amongst the end users and occasionally the techies
trying to decide what exactly is a megabyte when trying to explain to
an end user.<g>

Back to more important matters like the cricket.<g>
Interesting to watch England enforcing the follow on for Australia.

cheers
Liam
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk