[Gllug] "Open source has its own problems" - article in Computing

Adrian McMenamin adrian at mcmen.demon.co.uk
Thu Aug 4 15:51:18 UTC 2005

On Thu, 2005-08-04 at 16:41 +0100, t.clarke wrote:
> I cannot see that code produced in your own time, in your own home, on your own
> equipment can possibly be anything other than your own property,  unless you
> happen to have an employment contract that specifies otherwise.   I would think
> it would be debatable as to whether such a contract would be enforcable in the
> courts!

If you use your inside knowledge of how your company produces a widget
to produce a better widget the company are unlikely to care on whose
time you wrote the code for the better widget: they would still regard
it as an infringment. Whether they could enforce it is, as you say, more
dificult to judge. But it's not as simple as "I did it in my own time so
therefore it belongs to me".

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk