[Gllug] Sun Sparcstation - is it any use...?

John Edwards john at cornerstonelinux.co.uk
Thu Aug 11 20:46:11 UTC 2005

On Thu, Aug 11, 2005 at 09:18:25PM +0100, Nix wrote:
> On Thu, 11 Aug 2005, Ian Norton announced authoritatively:
>> I have one of those,
>>
>> Until very recently it was a perfectly good irc server at essex
>> university, they will probably never die once you get it setup running
>> some task or other.
>
> I've had fan failures on my Netra, compounded by Sun's lovely swapping
> of the leads on the fan, meaning I had to splice cables before the new
> fan would work.
>
> But the general consensus seems to be that Netra build quality is lower
> than that of Suns of old :( and anyway nothing else has failed and it's
> humming away in the loft now happily.

Not just the Netra, but the Ultra 5 and Blade 100 machines were
more prone to failure. Some might say that this was related to
the lower cost and more generic PC parts in them (eg IDE drives).

| A. Because it breaks the logical sequence of discussion |
| Q. Why is top posting bad ?                             |
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk