[Gllug] OT: Merging UPS outputs

Liam Smit liam.smit at gmail.com
Sun Aug 21 13:42:28 UTC 2005

> > Many appliances don't require an earth pin. The appliance is designed
> > and built in such a way so that this is not an issue. For example my
> > electric razor, I'd have to remove the plastic casing and then plug it
> > into the wall and then use wet hands in order to get a shock.
> >
>    So are you suggesting that every building should be wired with sockets
> that look pretty and have no earth, sufficient for every need, plus sockets
> which do have an earth, sufficient for every need, including future
> proofing? Buildings are already supposed to have sufficient outlets without
> the need for trailing sockets.

I didn't suggest anything of the sort. In SA we have 3 pin plugs and
circuit breakers. So all the small appliances (e.g. cell phone
charges) with two pin plugs get plugged into adaptors and larger
appliances (e.g. TVs) have their plugs cut off and 3 pin plugs fitted.

> > Electricity is strange stuff, I've touched a cable where it was joined
> > and received a buzzing sensation (like pins and needles) in my arm and
> > the power did not trip. It was supplying a running fridge. Took me a
> > while to realise that each time I felt the buzzing feeling I was
> > touching the cable supply the fridge. I was barefoot at the time on a
> > concrete floor (garage).
> >
>    You were lucky that you just received a tingle, the floor was probably
> fairly dry. I was asked to provide first aid for someone who had grabbed a
> handle that turned out to be live, his muscles tensed, and the palm of his
> hand was white and totally shredded before he could lever it free.

Yup it was dry but then South Africa is generally quite dry.<g>
Apparently also having hard hands helps as the resistance is
increased. So basically I was receiving very low amps, hence the
circuit breaker didn't trip.

>    AC mains often tends to make your muscles throw you clear, we were told
> to test any suspicious objects using the back of our hand if there is no
> safe way, because it may be painful but you will be thrown clear. If it is
> live DC your muscles are even more likely to tense and hang on, less likely
> to throw you clear.

Well AC tends not to hold you like DC does. Which is why electric
fences gave you a DC jolt and then stop , then they give you a bigger
DC jolt and then stop.

cheers
Liam
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk