[Gllug] Passwordless SSH

James McGuigan james at worldfuturecouncil.org
Wed Aug 24 22:02:25 UTC 2005

I have a ubuntu box in my office behind a NAT firewall and I can't get port
forwarding or a static IP assigned to the box.

I have managed to successfully establish a reverse ssh connection to my home system via:

ssh -nNT -R 2222:localhost:22 user at my.home.machine
and I can ssh back from my home machine by
ssh localhost -p 2222

However to establish the reverse ssh connection, requires I enter in a password
manually. To automatically enter the password I've tried
(sleep 5s && echo $password) | ssh -nNT -R 2222:localhost:22 user at my.home.machine
but ssh complains "Pseudo-terminal will not be allocated because stdin is not a
terminal."

Is there any way of tricking ssh or other programs into thinking its running from a
terminal when its not?

The machine occasionally gets switched off (its a desktop machine) and I'm rarely in
the office physically, so manually setting up a connection each time is not that
feasible (and I can't remotely log in each time I need to set it up for obvious
reasons :-) ).

In short I need a method of either passing the password in a script to ssh, or
pre-configuring ssh on both ends to accept the connection without asking for a
password. man ssh alludes to this possibility, but I haven't been able to figure out
which keys I need to locate and where or where to put or copy them.

--
Rules are written for those who lack the ability to truly reason,
But for those who can, rules become nothing more than guidelines,

Earth Emergency - A Call to Action (www.earthemergency.org)
Sustainable Society Directory (www.sustainable-society.co.uk)
World Future Council Initiative (www.worldfuturecouncil.org)
Open co-op (http://open.coop)