[Gllug] "Open source has its own problems" - article inComputing

Nix nix at esperi.org.uk
Fri Aug 5 22:07:29 UTC 2005

On Thu, 04 Aug 2005, alan lenton murmured woefully:
> Professionalism: Hah! This is just a rehash of the 'all open source
> programmers wear sandals, have long hair and beards, and smoke dope'
> crud. Actually there are studies that indicate that most open source
> programmers are programming professionals, not amateurs.

One pedant point: they are *both*. They is, they are professionals
(they are paid for it), *and* they are amateurs (they do it for the
sheer joy of it whether paid or not).

I wouldn't stop hacking if nobody paid me (although I might have to
find a job doing something *else* as well, grumbling all the way).

--
`Tor employs several thousand editors who they keep in dank
 subterranean editing facilities not unlike Moria' -- James Nicoll
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk