[Gllug] is this a big problem?

Jim Bailey jim at freesolutions.net
Fri Aug 26 11:17:48 UTC 2005

On Aug 26, 08:04, Matthew Thompson wrote:

> On 25 Aug 2005, at 23:09, Mike Brodbelt wrote:
>
> >You can reduce costs substantially by using Linux/BSD on the servers.
> >Samba as a fileserver can remove the need for Windows CALs, and makes
> >sense. You can get a good AD equivalent with Samba 3 and OpenLDAP,
> >without too much hassle.
>
> Can you really? On Windows you run a small program to enable the
> Active Directory and after a short while you have one. There's a full
> range of integrated DUI tools to help you administer it. Profiles can
> be created to apply to different elements and units enabling fine
> grained control of applications and hardware across the orgnisation.
> You can also use it to deploy software where packaged in MSI files to
> ensure that all machines are kept uptodate with the software the
> users need.
>
> I learnt how to do  this in a couple of hours - on Linux/BSD it'd be
> a long process of finding hte applications and supporting
> documentation to get the DNS, DHCP, LDAP, Samba to all work together
> and possibly recompiling part of them.
>
> But how tightly integrated with your Samba 2/ OpenLDAP system is it?

Try Gosa it does most of what you are looking for and means HR staff can
manage user accounts and home directory creation you can also give
project managers the ability to add and remove users to certain groups
they control.  I know AD does this but I isn't impossible under Linux.
We use it to manage a mixed network of Linux, XP and OSX and it works
well.
--
Peace Jim :-)

keys:  http://freesolutions.net/jim/pubkey.asc

 I can only be truly free only when all other around me are also truly
 free.
 --Michael Bakunin

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk