[Gllug] new member....

John Edwards john at cornerstonelinux.co.uk
Wed Aug 3 22:07:12 UTC 2005

On Wed, Aug 03, 2005 at 09:39:04PM +0100, John Southern wrote:
<snip hardware details>
> The South Cheshire have just had a meeting and the topic was installing on
> really old hardware.
> The limiting factor in most cases turned out to be the RAM. 24M was OK for
> installing quite a lot with GUIs, although opening multiple applications was
> a bit of a nightmare in terms of swap and response time.
> GUIs mentioned included -
>
> flwm http://flwm.sourceforge.net/ Fast Light Window Manager based on wm2
> pwm http://modeemi.cs.tut.fi/~tuomov/pwm/ Tabbed Window Manager
> pwm2 http://modeemi.cs.tut.fi/~tuomov/pwm/ Ion based tabbed Window Manager
> Ion http://modeemi.fi/~tuomov/ion/ Keyboard-centric tabbed Window Manager
> Ion2 http://modeemi.fi/~tuomov/ion/ Bloated Ion Window Manager
> WindowMaker http://www.windowmaker.org/ Window Manager for the GNUstep desktop
> environment
> BlackBox http://blackboxwm.sourceforge.net/ Lightweight Window Manager
> FluxBox http://fluxbox.sourceforge.net/ BlackBox with steroids
> Waimea http://www.waimea.org/wiki/Software_2fwaimea Fluxbox rival
> wm2 http://www.all-day-breakfast.com/wm2/ Slim Window Manager
> Rat Poison http://www.nongnu.org/ratpoison/ Keyboard only Window Manager
>
> The latter was odd, especially on a laptop as it hijacked many of the key
> combinations normally used in applications. pwm seemed about the best for
> small memory stuff. Everyone at the group was happy with Galeon as a browser.

What ? No fvwm ?
	http://www.fvwm.org/

It's the original virtual window manager, is modulised, and available
for a wide range of Unix systems.

As for a GUI web browser, you could try dillo. It's GTK like galeon,
has a smaller memory requirement (~5MB) but does not do complex things
such as tabs, type-ahead, etc. Good text based browsers include lynx,
links, elinks, w3m.

> I am sure I have seen DamnSmallLinux and GreyCat both running on 486s.

Debian is also good, except when running upgrading through apt-get or
dselect.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk