[Gllug] OT: Merging UPS outputs

Russell Howe rhowe at siksai.co.uk
Tue Aug 16 19:24:41 UTC 2005

On Tue, Aug 16, 2005 at 07:36:23PM +0100, David Abbishaw wrote:

> I would install a new distribution board and take the two ups feeds into
> the main switch in.

Don't Do That(tm).

You'll likely have all sorts of bizarre effects if the signals aren't in
phase, and if they are, you're probably going to get 480V or something
similarly silly.

I once did something like this to move a PC from one wall socket to
another, but I was fairly confident that'd work seeing as how I was
connecting two plug sockets together from the same ring main, although
my physicist friend flat out refused to be present while I did it.

I wanted to keep the uptime, but I knocked over a lamp later in the day
which tripped the power...

AC is weird. Don't mess with it.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk