[Gllug] Sun Sparcstation - is it any use...?

Steve Nelson sanelson at gmail.com
Fri Aug 12 10:28:40 UTC 2005

On 8/11/05, John Edwards <john at cornerstonelinux.co.uk> wrote:

> > How can I go about getting some variety of Linux on the box since I
> > don't know how it is currently configured?
>
> Debian runs well on them, except that dselect can take minutes to
> startup. Slackware may also run.

Slackware hasn't run on SPARC for a very long time.  There is a
splack!, which is based on Slackware 8.x but its pretty primitive.
For linux the two main contenders are Debian and Gentoo.  I've not
used Gentoo, but I have 4 SS5s, two of which run Debian beautifully.

However, if you really want to fly, netbsd on SS5s is absolutely superb.

S.
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk