[Gllug] Docking Station Lappies

Russell Howe rhowe at siksai.co.uk
Thu Aug 18 11:40:44 UTC 2005

On Thu, Aug 18, 2005 at 08:06:27AM +0100, John Hearns wrote:
> On Thu, 2005-08-18 at 02:20 +0100, Justin Perreault wrote:
> > An SVGA to USB converter can be found at
> > http://www.frontier-electronics.co.za/gra070.htm
>
> Are there Linux drivers for this beast? I would think probably not.
> But you never know.

 Linux Kernel v2.6.12.5 Configuration
   USB 2.0 SVGA dongle support (Net2280/SiS315)

 CONFIG_USB_SISUSBVGA:
 Say Y here if you intend to attach a USB2VGA dongle based on a
 Net2280 and a SiS315 chip.

 Note that this device requires a USB 2.0 host controller. It will
 not work with USB 1.x controllers.

That's the only USB SVGA adapter that I see listed in current mainline
kernels, so somehow you need to find out what chipset is used in the
adapter you're purchasing (as is usually the challenge with buying
hardware to work with open source stuff).

Also, note that it *requires* USB2 (and I'd expect other USB to SVGA
adapters to require USB2 as well), so it isn't going to work on older
laptops

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk