[Gllug] Fibre Channel drives on a PC?

John Hearns john.hearns at streamline-computing.com
Sun Aug 28 09:57:32 UTC 2005

On Sat, 2005-08-27 at 19:20 +0100, Dylan wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I have been offered a few fibre cannel drives. Are they likely to be
> usable on a PC? I've googled around for a PCI host adaptor, but only
> found descriptions of the interface.

I would say that fibre channel drives normally are slotted into
a RAID array.
I've never seen a single drive connected.

FC cards PCI cards (Host Bus Adapters in the jargon) are not that
expensive. LSI cards are one good brand.

Googling does find an adapter for single drives, or several drives
connected in a loop:
http://www.seagate.com/support/kb/disc/faq/fc_desktop.html

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk