[Gllug] Linux - big not small

Nix nix at esperi.org.uk
Fri Aug 5 21:09:30 UTC 2005

On Thu, 04 Aug 2005, Ian Northeast uttered the following:
> John Winters wrote:
>> This is
>> a Good Thing(TM).  Without the swap, chunks of RAM would be used to
>> store code and data which is never ever used.  By having the swap, this
>> stuff can be moved out and the RAM can be used for more constructive
>> purposes - even if only as a disk cache.  This is true no matter how
>> much RAM you have.
>
> I've only seen this happen to a significant degree on servers running
> Orrible. Nothing else I use behaves so inefficently as to allocate
> large amounts of memory then not use it.

Every program that uses glibc and libio (e.g., by calling printf()) will
allocate and fill several hundred Kb for i18n stuff; so if you fork a
lot of programs before using libio, or exec() a bunch that then use
libio, but don't use i18n...

--
`Tor employs several thousand editors who they keep in dank
 subterranean editing facilities not unlike Moria' -- James Nicoll
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk