[Gllug] headless server and fsck

Matthew King matthew.king at monnsta.net
Tue Aug 9 12:25:50 UTC 2005

Tom Schutzer-Weissmann <trmsw at yahoo.co.uk> writes:

> We run a headless server which got turned off by mistake. It restarted
> without any problems, but I was wondering if there was a way of checking
> the root filesystem without attaching a monitor and keyboard

You don't need to. If it booted up then it will have successfully
checked the filesystem on its own. It's possible that a logfile
somewhere has fsck's output but it's unlikely.

> Given that I believe it's unwise to run fsck on a mounted filesystem,

Generally, yes.

> the only thing I can think of is to reboot the server with a live CD
> that will start up sshd so I can go in and check out the hard disks.

That will work but there are security concerns (ie. keys) to worry
about. I take it you don't have a serial console on it.

But as mentioned above it's almost certainly unnecessary.

Matthew

--
I must take issue with the term "a mere child," for it has been my
invariable experience that the company of a mere child is infinitely