[Gllug] [OT] Giving advice on buying a laptop

Gerard van Schip gerard at vanschip.com
Tue Aug 9 10:40:53 UTC 2005

Well, I did some extensive searching when I was looking for my Linux
laptop and found that Apple's iBook really is best value for money.

For 699 pounds you get a small, very portable laptop with wifi, internal
dvd-cd/rw, LONG battery life etc

The bundled software should be enough to get her going, MS Office comes
in Mac flavour and under the hood it's unix.

Intel Laptops are either cheap but big and lacking in features or nice
and small with the features you want but at 2 to 3 times the price of a
Apple portable.

The only reason why I opted for the IBM Thinkpad is that Apple's
hardware is closed and thus development of Linux software slow. Take the
Airport Extreme for one, Apple refused to talk about it for a long time.
The Thinkpad is also a touch lighter.

She can either buy one brand new from Apple for 699, get a refurb one on
wednesday at Apples online refurb story (up to 30% off) or buy one from
Ebay.

Just my 2 cents.

Gerard
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk